Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Political party that cries wolf! an email!

Me to the Conservative Party of Canada

10:27pm Wednesday, Oct 31, 2007
I have seen your new political attack ad and I am not pleased. There has not even been an election called nor has parliament been dissolved either by the Prime Minister or the Governor General, so you’re not in an election cycle yet. Sit down, shut up and wait. You’ll get your chance just like anybody else. I feel like I am back in high school where the group of kids that aren’t so popular attempt to become flashy to get attention. I am aware that political attack ads can be very powerful and generally are used when you need to get elected. If you play your cards right, we may not need to go to the polls anytime soon. Personally attacking the leader of another party could be considered a new low for any politician or party. At this point, you may be wondering why I am contacting the Progressive Conservative Party. The reason is that you are, at the time of this email, the only party that has launched a television attack ad in a non-election cycle. The television ad reminds me of the old tale about the boy who “cried wolf”. I am assuming your communications director is aware of this story, particularly the ending. This ad is reminiscent of the tale in a political context. For the record, I find political attack ads annoying, particularly how they systematically attempt to do a character assassination of a parties leader. I am not speaking specifically of the intended target in the commercial but in general terms. A person would get annoyed if they were personally attacked in a commercial, politician or no politician. In the end, a political party may do more damage to themselves than their opposition by plastering their view of the world and anyone in it on television before the usual blood season starts. As we all know, in the end, the boy who cried wolf was not saved. The out of season commercial really offends me.