Thursday, June 11, 2015

Mayor John Tory suddenly came out against carding by the Toronto Police Service



About 2 days ago, Mayor John Tory suddenly came out against carding by the Toronto Police Service and made an interesting comment during his speech. Paraphrasing the comment: "Some of the stories I've heard from people who have been the subject of carding has affected my conscience and therefore I will work to end the practice."

My super cynical side perked up and I realized there is probably a more compelling reason than his conscience to end carding. Then today it became public that a Charter challenge has been filed by one man who was carded 8 times. The City of Toronto as well as Mark Saunders, Chief of Police have been named in the challenge. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Here is a link to challenge story