Saturday, April 26, 2014
Ontario's premier is pressing ahead with a libel suit against the province's Opposition leader, seeking $2 million in damages.
Ontario's premier is pressing ahead with a libel suit against the province's Opposition leader, seeking $2 million indamages.
The lawsuit stems from Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak's comments late last month suggesting that Kathleen Wynne "possibly ordered" the alleged destruction of government documents.
A spokeswoman for Wynne says a statement of claim was delivered today to Hudak, Progressive Conservative MP Lisa MacLeod and the PC Ontario Fund. Wynne had said earlier that she would withdraw her suit if Hudak
apologized and retracted his claim, but that didn't happen.
The statement read that Hudak, MacLeod, and the PC Party "still have an opportunity to do the right thing – apologize and retract their comments. If they do, this action will not be pursued further and damages will not be sought."
It also says that any damages received through the suit will be given to charity but any expenses incurred will be covered by Wynne's Liberal party.
The Progressive Conservatives have confirmed they've received the statement of claim.
Provincial police say they are considering possible breach of trust charges against a former senior Liberal staffer who allegedly gave an outside tech expert access to computers in the premiers' office.
It is part of a police investigation into the deletion of government emails related to the Liberals' decision to cancel two gas plants, which could cost up to $1.1 billion.