Sunday, August 9, 2009

Critical medical cases treated promptly in Canada Re: Letter from William R. Eghert entitled "Many must wait for health care in Canada Re: Letter

Critical medical cases treated promptly in Canada

(UNEDITED)Re: Letter from William R. Eghert entitled "Many must wait for health care in Canada".

It infuriates me to read this kind of dribble from American doctors who are more interested in the money they make rather than the service they can provide for their fellow man. He talks of one case and projects that case to the whole Canadian Health System. I lived in the United States for 5 years and found a great number of people I knew that could not access health service because they had no insurance. To me it is a disgrace for a country as rich and prosperous as the United States that has millions of people without health care services.

Yes in Canada when you go to the hospital or doctor they ask for you health care number and you receive what assistance is needed, down here they ask for your insurance and if you do not have it then you're sent someplace else or they require your Visa card. This doctor talks the about waiting times in Canada to receive service, emergency and critical cases are helped immediately and yes others may have to wait a short period of time, but unlike the United States they do receive service. I am 77 years old and the service I receive is just the same as those who are much younger, service is not determined by your age. The service provided for my wife and I include no premium payment, the most we pay for our prescription drugs is $25.00. We also have dental care and eye care (every three years money is provided to buy glasses). Whereas I find those friends I have here who are on Medi-Cad or Medi-Care have to top it up from $300.00 to $600.00 a month to receive the service they require.